Q. What is IUI?
IUI is a fertility treatment in which the semen sample is washed and placed in the uterine cavity of the female partner with the help of a thin tube at the time of ovulation.
Who needs IUI?
IUI is the most commonly used fertility treatment for couples who are trying to get pregnant for more than a year The most common indications for IUI are:
- Unexplained infertility, that is, if semen parameters are normal, the tubes of the female partner are not blocked, and the female partner is producing eggs normally during ovulation. In such cases, generally, IUI is the first treatment option offered to the couples.
- PCOS: Some women with polycystic ovaries (PCOS) need oral drugs or hormonal injection (called ovulation induction) to produce a fully mature egg. In such women, along with ovulation induction, IUI is also used to increase the chance of pregnancy.
- Cervical factor infertility: In a few patients, there are antibodies against the sperm in the mucus of their cervix (the opening of the uterine cavity). These antibodies do not allow the sperms to reach the egg. In these patients, IUI can help by directly placing the sperms in the uterus and bypassing the cervix.
- Endometriosis: Endometriosis is a disease in which tissue similar to the one that normally lines the inside of the uterus grows in a place outside the uterus. In minimal and mild cases of endometriosis, IUI is initially tried for 2-3 cycles, and may give success.
- Vaginismus: It is a condition in which the vaginal muscles tighten up on their own as an automatic reaction, whenever penetration is attempted. If it is severe, women may not get pregnant naturally. In such women, IUI can be done under anaesthesia, helping them to conceive.
- Mild male infertility: In cases where the count and motility of the sperms are on a low-normal side, IUI can be tried, as semen washing increases the concentration of motile sperms near the site of ovulation.
- Ejaculation problems or erectile dysfunction: IUI can be done in cases where men have problems related to ejaculation or there is erectile dysfunction. In these men, some drugs can be tried, and sometimes a penile vibrator is used to obtain the semen sample.
- Cryopreservation of semen: If the partner desires, due to various medical or social reasons, the semen sample can be stored in special deep freezers (cryopreserved) for long periods. The sample can then be used at a later date for achieving pregnancy in the female partner by means of IUI.
- Donor semen IUI: In men whose sperm count is zero, or the sperm count or motility are very low, or in whom there is any inheritable genetic disorder in the male partner, IUI with donor semen sample can be done to achieve pregnancy.
- Single women: IUI with donor semen is one of the treatment options available for single women who wish to bear children.
Q. What is the procedure for IUI?
The following are the basic steps involved in IUI:-
Q. How many cycles of IUI can be attempted?
IUI can be tried for 3-4 cycles. If the couple is unable to conceive even after 3-4 cycles, the other treatment options should be considered.
Q. What is the success rate of IUI?
The success rate of IUI depends on many factors like age of the female partner, duration of infertility, status of the tubes of the female partner, semen quality, etc. On an average, in a woman less than 35 years of age, the chances of getting pregnant in the 1st IUI cycle are approximately 10-12%. Approximately 25-30% women generally conceive by the 3rd IUI cycle.
Dr. Reena Gupta Fertility: Special Center Designed for People Having Difficulty Getting Pregnant –
Our main goal at Dr. Reena Gupta Fertility Center is to serve our patients with high-quality treatment. If we had to select only one issue on which to concentrate, it would be (QUALITY). To put it another way, we never sacrifice quality care for any reason, not even to lower costs.
Know Your Problems
Before you start your fertility treatment, we investigate you to find the problems causing infertility, to overcome it and provide better results with a high percentage of conception.
Why Wait ?
Start The Journey Now. Call us now at 98688 70103 or connect via email at email@example.com. We will provide you IUI cost information as per your requirement. You will get the detailed information about the IUI process and cost within 24 hours.